Last week was Drug Awareness or Red Ribbon Week in the Rockwall ISD. The objective was to educate students about the dangers of drugs and then encourage them to pledge to be drug-free by signing pledge cards.
We haven’t heard yet how many pledged.
RISD Communications Director Sheri Fowler said all campuses had pledge card signups and gave away prizes to those students who did – pencils, stickers, red ribbons, etc.
“The older students tied red ribbons on cars in the parking lots, had activities during lunch where students could participate. If you had your D-FY-IT card at RHHS, you might have a chance to play Guitar Hero. If you brought your D-FY-IT card to RHS Friday, you got one dollar.”
Each day of the week had a different theme, which each campus tailored to its needs:
- Monday – Crazy Socks Day …. Scare the socks off drugs!
- Tuesday – CAMO Day ….. Don’t hide behind drugs or alcohol.
- Wednesday – Backwards Day….. Drugs can turn your life inside out.
- Thursday – HAT Day …. Hats off to our drug free schools!
- Friday – Spirit or RED Day …. Show your school pride during Red Ribbon Week!
We’re awaiting word as to how many students signed up.