The fifth annual day-long “Cars for CASA” event, raising funds for the Rockwall & Kaufman County chapters of “Court-Appointed Special Advocates” who assist abused children, will be Sunday, May 16, in the parking lots at The Harbor.
Live music and food from local restaurants will also be on hand.
Last year over 300 classic and old-time cars were displayed, 3200 people attended and over $26,000 was raised from entry fees and more.
This year, event founder Dave Hambley, past president of the Homebuilders Association of Dallas, predicts that over 400 cars and more funds will be raised.
We’ll soon publish a full feature article at TheRockwallNews.com about Cars for CASA and the local Lone Star CASA non-profit organization, to help promote the event.
The Rockwall Boys & Girls Club has scheduled a “Harbor Rock” fund-raising concert at The Harbor June 12, featuring a rock and British Invasion band that’s been playing in the Metroplex for three decades called Spector’s Gun Collection.
The cost is $25 per person.
It’s certainly a worthy cause, and it will be interesting to see how many people can afford the ticket price during these difficult economic times. Especially when thousands of people can see concerts for free every Thursday evening all summer-long at the very same location.
Rockwall MusicFest will host its seventh annual local celebrity “roast” Jan. 30 to raise money for the Rockwall Philharmonic Orchestra, which performs classical music concerts with talented RISD students at least once each year in the area.
This year, Rockwall County Commissioners Dennis Bailey and Lorie Grinnan will be roasted (made fun of) by:
- Rockwall YMCA executive director Mike Atkins
- Dennis Bailey’s son and sales manager at Trend H.R. Jonathan Bailey
- Promise Makers executive director Greg Beauchamp
- Rest Haven Funeral Homes president Dewayne Cain
- Rockwall Rotary Club and Lakeside Insurance president Russ Childers
- Attorney and former RISD school board member Brad Lambeth
- Lorie Grinnan’s brother and president of Efficient Business LLC Derick Schaefer
Previous “roastees” have been:
- Congressman Ralph M. Hall
- former Rockwall Mayor Ken Jones
- Rockwall Helping Hands Director Margo Nielsen
- RISD Public Relations Director Sheri Fowler
- American National Bank Vice President Kevin Fowler
- Rockwall resident Raymond Cameron
- Rockwall Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Margie Hooper
For info about the event to be held at Occasions at Stone River in Royse City, call 972-771-3573 or 972-772-0752.
Preliminary competition for the 2009 Rockwall Idol concludes this Thursday at the Hilton Hotel at 7 pm.
The fee for the singing audition is $10.
The admission charge for guests is $5.
Winner from this contest and the previous two preliminaries will compete in the final competition March 28 at the Hilton.
The annual event is sponsored by the Rockwall Soroptimist Club to raise money for women and children in need.